July 9, 1975
Work continued in grid K-L/26-27 (T18), excavating the yellow stratum below the level of the foundation walls. c. 30 cm below the top of the foundations, a rocky stratum, possibly bedrock, was reached. These rocks are at the same depth and probably correspond to the "bedrock" in room J-P/28-30 (T18).
The "redware" concentration continued. Several features of this pottery concentration are noteworthy:
- There are no entire shapes or adjoining pieces of one pot. Several different rims or feet will come up together but never pieces of the same pot. Also blackware (bucchero/buccheroid, etc.) is mixed with the redware.
- The pottery is found over a great depth, c. 30 cm of yellow earth. The heaviest concentration is near the foundation walls. SEveral pieces were touching the stones of the foundation walls.
- Find #1
- T-18 K/27
- c. 25 cm from top of wall foundation
- Fragment of painted Italo-Corinthian ware
- Find #2
- T-18 L/27
- c. 28 cm from top of foundation wall
- Fragment of redware - painted
In grid L/27, several flecks of bronze were noted c. 25-30 cm from the top of the wall foundation.
- Find #3
- Approx. 10 cm from surface
- Tile fragment with finger impressed letter, found in dark brown soil
- Find #5
- 20 cm below the surface
- Piece of a bronze pin, possibly a nail file, bent at a right angle
In grid H/35, a one and a half meter cut towards the south (cut #5) was begun. Two pieces of bronze and a large piece of tile with finger impressed design were found.
3 cassette of tile dumped.
- Find #6
- T-18 L/26
- Yellow stratum
- Fragment of bucchero handle
|Property or Relation||Value(s)|
[Standard: Dublin Core Terms]
Open Context editors work with data contributors to annotate datasets to shared vocabularies, ontologies, and other standards using 'Linked Open Data' (LOD) methods.
The annotations presented above approximate some of the meaning in this contributed data record to concepts defined in shared standards. These annotations are provided to help make datasets easier to understand and use with other datasets.
To the extent to which copyright applies, this content
carries the above license. Follow the link to understand specific permissions
Required Attribution: Citation and reference of URIs (hyperlinks)